The Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS) in collaboration with the Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) and the Kenya Investment Authority (KenInvest) is conducting Foreign Investment Survey (FIS) 2018 from June to August, 2018. This is the fifth survey after FIS 2010, FIS 2013, FIS 2015 and FIS 2016.
The purpose of FIS 2018 is to collect information from resident enterprises on their foreign assets and liabilities. The data collected will be used to improve the quality of data for compilation of Balance of Payments (BOP) and International Investment Position (IIP) statistics. In addition, data collected will be used for investment promotions and policy formulation.
Specific objectives of the survey are:
- To collect comprehensive information, with geographic detail, on the stocks and flows of inward and outward foreign capital.
- Apply the 2018 FIS Survey information to improve BOP and IIP Statistics;
- To collect data on foreign private debt;
- To collect data and information on foreign investment relationships for compiling Foreign Affiliates Statistics (FATS).
- To update the enterprise register necessary for carrying out sample surveys on cross-border- financial transactions;
- To improve the quality of foreign direct Investment (FDI) Statistics, a component of foreign investment statistics.
- To generate investment data needed for monitoring economic development and planning appropriate national policies and;
- To provide additional information useful for investment promotion and trade negotiations.
The survey will be administered to resident enterprises (both local and foreign owned). These enterprises are statistically selected from a pool of enterprises with foreign assets and liabilities.
Confidentiality of data collected is guaranteed under the Statistics Act, 2006 that empowers KNBS to collect Balance of Payments Statistics and other related external statistics. The survey personnel are under oath not divulge any information provided by enterprises to a third party.
Given the importance of this exercise, we appeal to the management of the selected enterprises to cooperate and support the survey field staff. Our field staff have been directed to produce identification badges or introduction letters on demand.
Foreign investment surveys are conducted on an annual basis. The findings of this survey will be disseminated in October, 2018 and will be made available on the KNBS website.