Functions and Mandate
The Population and Social Statistics Directorate is one of the six directorates that constitute the Kenya National Bureau of Statistics. Its main offices are based in Nyayo House on floors 16th and18th, while the rest are in the district headquarters, across the country.
- The directorate is charged with the responsibility to collect, collate, compile, analyse and disseminate demographic and other social statistics.
The core mandate of the directorate is to:
- conduct Population and Housing Census every ten years,
- generate population and social sector statistics (population censuses, demographic, health, education, governance, gender, vital),
- develop and maintain National Sample Survey and Evaluation Programme (NASSEP), cartographic mapping and
- Administration of all KNBS offices in the districts/Counties
In order to perform the above functions effectively, the directorate is divided into the following sections:
- Social Statistics
- Education Statistics Unit
- Health Statistics Unit
- Crime and Governance Statistics Unit
- Gender Statistics Unit
The current set up of the directorate consists of:
- one Director
- two Senior Managers
- Assistant Managers
- District Statistical Officers (Senior Officers)
- Clerical and other support staff
A revised structure to improve the performance of the directorate is proposed in the current strategic plan.